Viewpoint: Enduring with Greatness

I have often had the goal that I would be something great. That in this quest for greatness I would never give up nor give in to whatever threatened that greatness. Much of the time on earth I have searched for this greatness, until I realized it was already in me.It is the light of Christ. The gift of him who sent me here and listens to my every prayer. I have pondered much today on the idea of having a light within me and if I am fostering that light. Am I moving closer to the God who loves me? or am I slowly drifting away? 

It has been a Sunday where I have struggled with many thoughts. The life in front of me is very unfamiliar. It is a plan that I'm sure was presented to me at one point in the preexistence. I am not afraid of it, I am ready to embrace it. I am excited to become whatever the Heavenly Father who loves me wants me to become. But, who am I? As I sit, I ask myself "Am I the Emma that my Heavenly Father wants me to be?" - it is a modified version of a thought that was presented to us in RS prep last week, from Sherri Dew. "Am I the woman I think I am? Am I the woman I need to be? More importantly, am I the woman the savior needs me to be?" Granted the Emma who wishes to be something, is slightly uneasy about simply turning my life over to the Lord. I do not doubt him, I simply question and what comes to my mind to say is "Lord, what wilt thou have me do?"

I remember once an impression I received. I must first preface this story by saying that all of us are imperfect. Joy in my life I have discovered comes not from being perfect, but from overcoming my own imperfections. And knowing that in this, I did not do it alone, but through the power of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is a continued journey, a continued struggle - it is as the most important phrase when entering any day "endure to the end". The word endure is a word I have always loved. It means to suffer through something patiently and meekly. There have been times in my life where I have been presented with temptation, where I have put myself in a situation where I was sitting on the edge of making a really stupid decision. I'm sure that many of you have found yourself in that place. When I was placed in this situation I have never heard the word "no" been so profoundly heard by every fiber of my being. I felt as if my whole life hung on this one decision -- and you know, I walked away. I walked away. It made many things of my life at the time fall apart, but I walked away. I walked away not because at the time I knew it would be the best decision, nor did I want it to be the right decision, but because He said "No". I walked away blindly into a path I did not know. After struggling many things in my life fell into place and I was blessed in ways which I would not have understood then. Looking back on that experience I am glad that I walked away. I am glad I listened. I guess in all of this I am trying to say, as one of my favorite quotes says, "the chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want at the moment", by Zig Ziglar. Do not surrender, do not give in, do not trade what you want most. 

There are many things about me which are imperfect. I am as you are, imperfect. We are all children of God, we are all the same, we all struggle -- the wonderful thing though is that God knows this about each and every one of us and desires to help us be better.  As this Sunday has lingered on in the lobby of a hotel I have reread a note I wrote myself last week. A note about what I want my children to know about me and to know about the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ. I have always thought of a girl named Sopia, my little Sophie. It is a little girl in a white dress. She has cute little curls just at the ends of her hair. Her face is covered in freckles and when she smiles her nose crinkles up. She has large hazel eyes that light up when she laughs, that are full of the light of Christ which is unparalleled with anything else. I am scared for her to come and am already worried about if she will make it. The world as we know it is full of temptation and trials. I think of her and wonder, will I teach her well enough to make it home? Will this little spirit Heavenly Father has entrusted me with, how do I make sure that she will make it home? And that's when it hits me I can't, I can only prepare now to teach her everything I can so that she will. 

As I said at the beginning, that sometimes I question which way I am going -- I know that there is one way I have to be going, for this little girl. I think about what I want most in life. There are a few things which come to mind: children, to become like Christ, have a family, have a positive impact on the world, to teach many, to be who he wants me to be and to learn as much as I possibly can.

I know that there is a God who loves me and who loves each and everyone of you. I think of this life that he gave me and of another thought, by an unknown author.
 It is entitled "Just a Little Tiny Minute". 
It reads: "I have only just a minute
 just sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me - can't refuse it, 
but it's up to me to use it. 
I must suffer if I lose it, 
give account if I abuse it. 
Just a little tiny minute, 
but eternity is in it"

 Heavenly Father has entrusted me with many blessings with the knowledge that I will come home. I will come home. As you think of this Sunday, think to yourself. Where are you at in your life's journey? What have you done with your tiny little minutes? Are you working towards coming closer to Christ or are you wandering away? 

I know without a doubt that there is a God. There is a loving Heavenly Father who wishes so much to wrap His arms around us and cannot wait until we come home to Him. I know that He knows each of us and that He loves each of unconditionally. That there are things in our life which we will be ask to sacrifice, but if we are only willing that He will bless us with an unfathomable amount of love. That He has a plan for each of His children. That not matter what action you have taken that you may come unto Him and He will help you to work it out. No matter the question nor quiet whispering of doubt, as you come unto Him he will answer them, He will help you. He has entrusted you with many miracles and He wants you to become what He sees you can become. I know this to be true, with all my heart. 




Know that no matter what pathway you find yourself on that you are a child of a Heavenly Father who loves you and that is the greatest knowledge of all. That no matter what  unfamiliar life awaits you that He will guide you if you will come unto Him. That as you come unto Him the spirit of the Holy Ghost will tell you what is right for each of you, listen, continue to always listen. Keep your eye and what you want most in your life and works towards those goals with the Lord. Look at each little tiny minute of your life and ask yourself, am I working to become what Heavenly Father wants me to be? As you do these things -- remember always that you must endure to the end, endure everything that life will bring you patiently and meekly, be still
 and know the He is God, He lives, He loves you and He will always help you. 

[In the name of Jesus Christ Amen]







Drawings Can Be Found Here 
Pencil Drawings, By: Jean Keaton

--But this is just another autobiography, examining the prosopography of me.
By: Emma Marie.